We're so glad you came to see us! Please leave us a comment to let us know you came by.

Monday, July 13, 2009

On my mind

I have a math conference next week. I am to read this book called The Teaching Gap as a prereading activity. I'm still in the preface. I'm having a hard time with it because so far it has done nothing to encourage the current teacher. So far I get the feeling that no matter what is going on in your classroom, it doesn't compare to what is going on in Germany and Japan.
I'm reminded of the something my dad says, "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." Which means I'm having a hard time "enjoying" this book since I feel like I'm being washed in vinegar. They are trying to make a comparison between teaching and the teacher and that it is the teaching that needs to change. They realize it is hard for US teachers to decipher between the teacher and the teaching. I'd have to say that I agree. A lot of teaching is tied to the teacher.


Update:
I'm done with the first chapter. It is getting a little better.

No comments: