We're so glad you came to see us! Please leave us a comment to let us know you came by.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Moses and Me Part 2

Last night I was helping with the children's program at my Bible study.  I was blown away at what these 2nd and 3rd graders knew.  While I listened to them share what then knew about Moses I learned something.

In the beginning of Exodus God and Moses argue.  God told Moses that He wants to use him, Moses tries desperately to opt out.  Moses fails, God wins.  Moses goes and does what God told him to do.  Moses told Pharaoh to let the people go worship God in the dessert, a three day journey.  Moses had obeyed God, and you know what happened?  Pharaoh pitches a fit and says the people are lazy.  The people had to continue making the same quota of brick, but now they weren't provided with the straw.  The people were angry with Moses and with God.  

Moses returned to the LORD and said, "O Lord, why have you brought trouble upon this people?  Is this why you sent me?  Ever since I went to Pharaoh to speak in your name, he has brought trouble upon this people, and you have not rescued your people at all."
Then the LORD said to Moses, "Now you will see what I will do to Pharaoh: Because of my mighty hand he will let them go, because of my mighty hand he will drive them out of his country."  Exodus 5:22-6:1

Things initially got worse, unbearable worse for the Israelites.  But, God was working in His timing, for His purpose, that He may be glorified.  Moses and all the people would know by the time they got out of Egypt that it had nothing to do with their might or strength, it was all about God's might and strength.

Last spring I prayed that God would put me in the classroom He desired.  He saw fit to have me switch grade levels over the summer, and then to switch back 6 weeks into school.  I am now finding that my kids are really struggling with math.  You know what?  I prayed that God would put me where He wants me, and it will be only to His glory when the kids get the math concepts.  Their growth will not be due to me, I tried in my strength, and that didn't work out well.  Now, I am on a renewed journey to put God first in my classroom.  It is a challenge when things are constantly changing to keep anything a focus, and yes things aren't looking to pretty when it comes to their math, but God will show me what to do.  

When was the last time you stopped, breathed, and then remembered that you can put your trust in God?  You don't have to rely on your own strength.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Praise the Lord that I don't have to rely upon my own strength...I'd be a shriveled up grape by now.:) Great devotional, Tasha! Thanks for sharing.