We're so glad you came to see us! Please leave us a comment to let us know you came by.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Missing Teaching, but Blessed to be Home

As many are gearing up for going back to school, I've been asked if I miss teaching.  Without hesitating I honestly answer that I do miss teaching.  Knowing that my former coworkers went back to school this week was a little hard on me at times.  Although I love teaching, I don't miss the grading or the time it took me to lesson plan.  It isn't that I didn't enjoy lesson planning; it is that I didn't like that it took up almost all of every Saturday during the school year.  I'll be starting up the Bible and Art Club again in September, and that will fill the need to teach.  I'll get to be around students for an hour teaching my two favorite things in the world.  Plus, I'll only have students who want to be there.  There is a definite advantage to having students who want to be there!

On the flip side, people ask if I love every moment I am a stay at home mom.  My common response it that I enjoy most days.  I am so gratefully that Kyle and I made choices when we were first married so that I can stay home.  True, we don't have new cars,  fancy things, or a big house, but I get to be with Eliana.  I have the pleasure and responsibility of raising her.  We play, wrestle, read, walk, and eat together.  Her favorite chore has always been the laundry.  When she first joined our family, she loved to see of the bright colors moving as I folded clothing in front of her.  These days she is delighted to take her daddy's socks out of the basket.  I'm working on teaching her to help me put clothes away.  As I carry a stack of clothes, I give her an item to carry as she follows me down the hall.  She normally makes it half way down the hall with the item before it gets dropped.  So, I'd say we're making progress from just helping to take clothes out of the basket.

Not all days are bliss.  I do have seasons of loneliness that our little one just doesn't fill the same as a classroom of kids.  Thankfully, those seasons of loneliness aren't as frequent or severe as they were in Eliana's first year.  Teaching once a week, being part of Bible Study Fellowship, having a daily quiet time with Jesus, starting a play group, and getting out of the house more often have helped me tremendously.  Oh, and I try new things like the recipes recently posted about.  I even decided to try my hand at a little gardening.  You've got be to pretty creative when you live in an apartment to garden.  I planted cilantro and some peppers recently.  Yes, I know it is a bit late to do so, but I'm okay with that.  I was SOOOOO excited to see some sprouts yesterday!!!



I know this photo and the one below don't have anything to do with this post, but I love sun sets and geese!  Kyle capture the sunset as we walked a neighborhood near a delicious frozen yogurt shop.


As Elizabeth and I walked during our play date, we saw these beautiful geese.  I used to hear them often in our former one story apartment.  Now that we are in a downstairs apartment, it is a special treat to hear and see them.

1 comment:

Greg and Alyssa said...

Eliana is so privledged to have such a loving mommy as you Tasha! It's so neat that you get to be with her day in and day out. I'm finding that there are a lot of special things in just the every day stuff. Have fun!