We're so glad you came to see us! Please leave us a comment to let us know you came by.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Abraham put Jesus in Mary's stomace

Yep, that is what I read today.  I had my sixteen Bible and Art Club students write down one thing they learned yesterday.  I chuckled when I read this sentence.  The good thing about the journals is that I read and respond.  I was able to clarify that Abraham was an ancestor of Jesus's, and the Holy Spirit put Jesus in Mary's tummy.  Apparently, my student was working closely with another student, because later I read, "Today I learned that Abraham put Jesus in Mary's stomach."

I realized during the lesson that talking about the genealogy of Jesus is hard with students who have never heard of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David, or Solomon.  It would be one thing if they already knew those key men and I could enlighten them about Josiah or other not as well known kings.  I was able to capture their attention when I explained that God uses imperfect people like Abraham and Isaac.  Both men lied to a king and said their wives were their sisters.  The king thought these women were so pretty that he had them come live at his palace.  You should have seen their faces as they imagined this happening.

I'm looking forward to next week when we talk about the birth of Jesus in Matthew 1.  It will be easier to have discussion about what we read, because they won't need to have prior knowledge.

No comments: