We're so glad you came to see us! Please leave us a comment to let us know you came by.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

First Time Donor

After class I walked over to the SCC building on campus because there was a blood drive. I had to fill out an extra form because I had never donated blood before. They gave me a big neon green sticker that read FIRST TIME DONOR. I got through the forms and the interview. Then I got a shirt that read I GIVE BLOOD, WHAT DO YOU DO? I met a girl named April while I was waiting for the station. I asked if she had donated before and asked what her experience was. She was called and then shortly after I was called.

I sat down and a nurse prepped my arm, asked me some questions about school, explained what he was doing, and all the rigmarole. I rested my head back. I counted to five seconds and gently tighten my grip on the foam roll, repeat. Next my fingers start to tingle. Then my feet start to tingle. I try to raise my right arm, since my left arm has the needle in it, and...

I try to open my eyes and faintly see that 6-7 nurses are rushing around above me. "Kyle, open your eyes", "Kyle, look at me", and "Kyle, you are okay". I am thinking, "Okay from what?" and "What are you doing?" and "Wow, you are all so bossy". As I gather more and more of my ability to focus and keep my head up, I notice that I have icepacks up my pantlegs, under my shirt, two on my chest, two under my neck, and one being held on my forehead. I also have passerbys stopping to see what the action is and very nervous people watching while their own blood is being drawn.

Appearently when you pass out its because your blood rushes away from your head. When this happenes your body thinks you are going to die so it gets really hot to keep your organs nice and toasty. Two very nice lady nurses took care of me after that. One poured applejuice into my mouth. Another periodically took my blood pressure. Then once my chair was returned to the full upright position after my blood pressure was back to normal, she went and brought me a chocolate zinger.

I was able to walk on my own to the recovery station where I had free reign of twinkies, chocolate zingers, peanutbutter and cheese crackers, raisens, applejuice, and water. What a great experience. When can we do this again?

Now I know why the first timer's get the big neon sticker. Geez.

3 comments:

Tasha said...

Well, at least this time when you fainted it wasn't in front of a little girl;)

Unknown said...

The experienced blood donors in Wisconsin (Although, Kieran is a special story in & of himself) think this story is VERY cute! I hope it doesn't discourage you from trying again. I sure do admire the fact that you even tried.:) KB

Kyle said...

Yeah, once I was coming to they asked when I had eaten lunch. I said, "I planned on eating after I donated blood." Note to self and others - eat 2 hours before giving blood. %)