We're so glad you came to see us! Please leave us a comment to let us know you came by.

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Mental Detox Week, April 21-27

Tasha and I have never had cable television and we've been married for over three years now. We do have basic cable in our apartment but only so we can have an internet connection. There's so much trash on tv and really it is a waste of time in our eyes.

The Kaiser Family Foundation reports "American children and adolescents spend 22 to 28 hours per week viewing television, more than any other activity except sleeping. By the age of 70 they will have spent 7 to 10 years of their lives watching TV".

I was searching for culture jamming. Culture jamming is defined by wikipedia as a movement of public activism that is in opposition to consumerism. It seeks to inform society of its own ills that it no longer senses due to desensitization. Adbusters is one such group of activists. They have a current campaign which begins Monday that I'd like to share with you.

I love this picture.

"The idea is simple: take your TV, your DVD player, your video iPod, your XBOX 360, your laptop, your PSP, and say goodbye to them all for seven days. Simple, but not at all easy. Like millions of others before you, you’ll be shocked at just how difficult - yet also how life-changing - a week spent unplugged can really be."

I dare you to try this. Then please return and share your experience by leaving a comment on this post.

2 comments:

Tasha said...

Well, since I'm replying to your blog, I'm obviously not taking the challenge presently. But I did do one a while back were I didn't listen to the radio for a week. For me I tend to not listen to the radio when I'm stressed, so there have been several days lately where it's just me and no radio as I drive to or from work. I know that for us, we are way stunned when we visit people and check out the stuff they watch. I didn't realize how much junk was out there until I didn't watch tv for a while.

silverjewel said...

I did this for 9 months! During my time spent at the Joshua Wilderness Institute (hume college program) we weren't allowed to listen to the radio, cd's (ipods weren't around yet), watch tv/movies. The only music we could listen to was live worship. None of us knew this before attending (we were the first class) and did not take it well the first 2 days, but it then just became life as we knew it. I got so much done and my focus was clear and right on. Granted we were basically living on a physical and spiritual mountain top. However the rules did apply during vacations as well and they depended on our integrity. We were allowed books on cd. Anyways, it was amazing. It allowed me have a new filter. So often, esp. as Christians, our perspective becomes skewed. Not over night, but over time to the point that we don't notice and we need a wake up call. The question is, "Are we as Christians influencing the world or is the world influencing us?" Unfortunately, this is hard to tell most of the time. "Can we be relevant in this world and not become of this world?" Yes.