We're so glad you came to see us! Please leave us a comment to let us know you came by.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

We have a pecan tree!

Our next door neighbor Gerri is great. She is full of information on all sorts of stuff. For example, I went next door to ask for 2 cups of milk for waffles. Hurray for not checking to see if I had all the needed ingredients. She was in the middle of painting a chair and shelling pecans. She told me that she had collected a 5 gallon bucket of pecans from a pecan tree. I asked where the tree was and she rolled her eyes, marched me to the window, and pointed maybe 40 yards from our apartments to a pecan tree that is next to our apartment office. Oh!
I guess that pecans are like $15 at Costco for just a pound. At Savemart they are like $8 for 6.75 ounces. She had it all laid out for a shelling operation with a scale, hammer, nut crackers, and those picks that come with them. She had shelled 9 pounds of pecans and had them separated into different size ziplocks for quick retrieval for baking. There was still maybe another pound and a half in a box on the floor for her to get to.
I took out the trash today and was looking at the pecan tree while I walked. I decided to check it out. There were many pecans still in their hulls on the ground for easy pickings. Then in the rockbed there were more but they blended into the rocks which made them harder to find. I filled my back pockets with pecans. I held a bunch in my shirt too. Here's the stash -

Empty hulls


Rinsed pecans

1 comment:

Tasha said...

They taste good:)