We're so glad you came to see us! Please leave us a comment to let us know you came by.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Lemons

A friend of mine has several orange and lemon trees. Every winter since we moved here, she has graciously shared oranges and a few lemons with us. I look forward to it every December! This year the crop came in January. Her daughter gave me a bag full of oranges. They were grabbed among other bags on the way to Bible study. Upon viewing we realized we had a bad of lemons instead of oranges. Lemons are nice, but I had no idea what to do with a whole bag of them. So, I gave a bunch to Rachel and endeavored to make lemon bars from scratch.

We don't have a pastry blender. To be honest, I didn't even know what a pastry blender was until Kyle found a picture of it in the index of our Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book. The recipe said, "Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs." I didn't know what it meant to "cut in butter" either. SO, I melted the butter just a wee bit so that it wouldn't take five years to "cut it" in. I then figured a pizza cutter would do the trick. When I was done, it looked like "course crumbs" to me.

Isn't sugar cool? It reminds me of snowflakes.

I was going for an in motion shot of me mixing the lemon mixture. Have you ever tried to take a picture with your not dominate hand? Well, since that wasn't working for me, I then had to mix with my not dominate hand (also hard to do). The picture isn't quite as cool as I hoped, but you can see traces of movement if you look carefully.

Kyle and I bought a sifter just for this recipe:) Powdered sugar heaven. You see, I had glanced at the ingredients and it said "sifted powdered sugar", not just plain ol' powdered sugar. Oh no, "sifted". I guess it would have been a good idea to look at the recipe too, then I would have realized I needed a pastry blender. Oh well, I think my pizza cutter did just fine.


Did you know that if you leave powdered sugar on a gooey surface, it will dissolve into gooey surface within a day? No one told me that! AH! They still taste good though. I'm not a huge fan of lemon bars, but Kyle loved them!!!

No comments: