We're so glad you came to see us! Please leave us a comment to let us know you came by.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

What is a yoke? a Bible and Art Club story

This year I am going through the book of Matthew with my Bible and Art Club students.  You may remember that I started the club up last March at the school I used to teach at before Eliana came.  I really, really, REALLY missed teaching, and this provided for that outlet.  I'd teach art, my favorite subject as a child.  Plus, I'd be able to share with them what I wasn't able to openly do for the five years I taught.
I initially thought we'd cover a chapter a week, but I realized a chapter was too much.  So, I choose part of a chapter, print it, have the kids take turns reading parts of it, and we discuss it as we go along.  This past week we read Matthew 11:25-30.

Jesus Gives True Rest

25 At that time Jesus answered and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes. 26 Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight. 27 All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him. 28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

The week before I'd tried to cover about 31 verses, and since I didn't feel we got to deeply understand what we were talking about I went for fewer verses with deeper understanding.  I also realized that I was 99.9% sure the kids would have no reference to oxen and yoke.  So, I brought in an object to help get the point across.  Now, when you think of an old school teacher, what object comes to mind?  Yard stick anyone?  Well, since I'm not in the classroom currently, I borrowed one from a good friend.  We read verse 28 and 29 and then I asked if anyone knew what a yoke was.  "It's part of an egg" said one student.  Yes, she was right, and then I explained that it was a multiple meaning word.  I asked if they'd ever since a picture of two cows or oxen or even horses stuck together and pulling a wagon or farm equipment.  A few nodded their heads.  I then asked for two volunteers.  I had the two girls stand facing the same direction with the yard stick spanning the distance between their shoulders.  I then asked them to try and walk together.  The yard stick fell immediately.  I asked the kids what they thought was the problem, and they explained that one girl was much taller than the other.  I gave them a few more tries, and they were able to get a few feet before the yardstick fell.  I asked what the difference was.    They told me that the girls were looking at each other and talking to each other so that they would step with the same foot at the same time.  I had two boys come up who were close in height, but after several tries they didn't make it a step.  Then I had two girls of similar height come, and I had them wrap their arms around the yard stick as they walked.  I explained that this like the relationship between us and Jesus.  The more we pray and talk to Him, the easier it is to walk with Him.  Although the initial reaction to the kids (particularly the two boy volunteers) was that it wasn't fair that these girls got to use their arms, the point was clearly made.  I then had the kids write in their journals at least one way that they can make their communication with God better.

It has been four days since our last meeting, and I got around to responding to the kids journals.  Part way through, I got quite teary eyed as I read, "You can ask God to come into your heart."  You have to understand, most of these kids don't go to church on a regular basis.  I'm not sure that all of them have ever been to church.  Some times I walk away from our meeting wondering if they kids learned anything about Jesus.  Two Wednesdays ago, I left so discouraged that Kyle asked me over and over again if I was okay that night.  There are many weeks that I question if I am even getting through to these kids.  Reading this journal today reminds me, that I am just the messenger, and the Holy Spirit is the one who draws people to Himself.  It is God who does the work with in these students, and I am privledged to be vessel of it. 

No comments: