We're so glad you came to see us! Please leave us a comment to let us know you came by.

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Eliana is 23 months old!!!

Blogger wasn't being my friend when Eliana turned 23 months old, so some of the updates for what she has been up to in the last month and the beginning of this month.

*Eliana has more words that I can count.  She has been putting two words together and some times even a phrase here and there.  This past week she said "baby sister" which blew me away since I hadn't been talking about the baby at the time.  She also said "big sister" the next day.  I think it has to do with so many people talking to her about being a sister.  Other phrases that come to mind: "fix it", "dog poo poo" (which we watch out for when we walk", and "Elaine's house" (which she points to when we walk to get the mail).

*After visiting my family two weeks ago, my mom gave us a mini potty for Eliana to use.  The next morning, she had her babies and stuffed animals take turns going on the potty.  Then she decided she wanted to go too!  That day she went 5 times!!!  Although I wasn't sure if she was ready yet, that made it clear that we were on the adventure into potty training land.  For the first few days I kept a diaper on her, and she told me most of the time just after she had gone.  Once Kyle left for his seminary class we tried the bare bottom approach.  She has had more successes than accidents.  She has had several starting in the wrong spot and then finishing in the right spot.  Her diaper is drier at nap time.  So, we are moving in the right direction!  I can't tell you how many hours I've spent this week reading to Eliana while she waits to go.  I tried having her watch some movies while sitting on the potty, but that didn't seem to help. It did make her want to watch tv a lot.  So, I cut that out after two days.  We don't normally watch movies, and I didn't want her to have that habit.  I save Veggie Tales for those days when I need to cook, she has whined a good part of the afternoon, and she is clinging to me while I'm trying to cook.  I know there are tons of ways to potty train.  The bare bottom approach seems to be working better than the days when she had a diaper on.  Plus, she likes getting a mini pretzel when she is successful.  She still wears a diaper when we are out and about or when company is over.   I am praying for wisdom as I can tell my frustration is starting to kick in when she was just sitting on the toilet and two minutes later she has an accident two feet from the toilet.

*New words since potty training: potty, pee pee, pretzel, tomato, Bob, and Larry.

*We're working on her asking for help rather than whining and then pitching a fit out of frustration.  I think we are making progress!!!

*Eliana talks a lot.  I LOVE it!  There may come a day when I wish she was quieter, but I'll take talking over the months when she was a screaming infant any day!  She understands so much, and she is constantly trying out new words.  Yesterday she learned Joanne, our dinner guest, and tried out awesome after Joanne said it.

*Eliana was "reading" to herself.  Eliana has loved books for most of her life.  She picked up Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb after it had been gone at a friend's house for a week.  She said, "Many monkeys" for most of the pages.  I was amazed that her memory is getting so strong.  It probably has been for awhile, but now she has words to show it.  After I read part of it to her today she said, "Dum, Dum, Dum" and "drum, drum, drum" as she read.

No comments: