We're so glad you came to see us! Please leave us a comment to let us know you came by.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Ambassadors

S:"Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us, we implore you on Christ's behalf, be reconciled to God. For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." 2 Corinthians 5:20,21

O: God cared enough to send His only Son to cover our filthiness. He desires us to be reconciled to Him.

A: This morning on my way to training I noticed some survey guys in the middle of the road. Traffic was "fussy" due to guys stepping in and out of traffic. The traffic started moving through the intersection. I looked up to see if the light had turned yellow. When I looked back at traffic, I saw that the van in front of my had stopped in the middle of the intersection. I braked at quickly as I could, but I still rear ended that lady in front of me. We pulled onto a side street. I was expecting her to yell at me, so I spoke first and apologized and asked how she was. I hit at what felt like bumper car speed, so the damage isn't bad on her van. On her bumper you can tell where I bumped, but it didn't look like much else for her. On my car you can see my bumper and my hood are not how they should be. No injury, just shaken up.
I could have yelled at her for stopping in the middle of an intersection. I could have blamed the traffic and the survey guys for being distracting. I could have... However, I was glad that God kept me cool and humble. It was my fault for not looking at her car sooner. I bumped into her because I wasn't watching her, instead I was checking the light.
We are Christ's ambassadors. People watch for how we react to life. When we act just like everyone else people wonder why we claim to be Christians. I'm so glad that both of us are safe!
I think we all have part of us that God wants to work on. Is it a broken relationship? Or not even one that is broken, maybe there is just resentment or bitterness. I can't tell you how to fix brokenness, but I can tell you where to start and what has helped me. For me, praying is the key. I can pray for my own pride and hurt. I can also pray for that person. When you are willing to pray for the other person, God begins to work on your heart so that you see them how God sees them. It isn't by any means an overnight endevour. And really, that person might not ever change. However, you can change with God's help. How you deal with that person can also change. They might still desire to inflict pain, but we can pray before we are going to see them, while we are talking with them, and then after.
That whole love your neighbor, and pray for your enemy is hard to do. But, Christ didn't call us to the simple, happy easy going life. He wants to mold us into ambassadors for Him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about the fender bender. Noone ever wants to be in a situation like that. Praise God for how you handled yourself! I love hearing your insights. I love that you have time to share insights right now. I know Clovis isn't where you dreamed of ending up (at least for now), but man has He allowed you to grow there. Puts a tear in your mentor's eye!

Tasha said...

I have found that I really like Clovis. I think it is because I am growing so much. I like running, and I start to get ancy when I don't. I am enjoying getting plugged into my church with more than just Sunday school. Now I've gone to a small group, helped in a carnival and VBS, gone to a ladies coffee night, and helped put up a bulletin board. I like having an apartment that I can actually keep clean. I've enjoyed my training this week. I'm more out going here, and willing to go out of my normal comfort zone to talk to strangers like the Wal Mart cashier this morning. We had a whole discussion about why I was buying 35 notebooks at a time, and she shared about her grandkids going to school. Although there are things I miss about Bakersfield, I'd have to say that God has really given me peace about being here. I thought my mom Sherry was crazy when she said she likes moving because it is an adventure. Now I understand, and for now I am enjoying the ride.