We're so glad you came to see us! Please leave us a comment to let us know you came by.

Friday, July 6, 2007

Colossians 3:12-14

Colossians 3:12-14
12Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

I have thought a lot about relationships this week. I have a friend whose marriage is struggling. Friends of ours are moving so that they can live the Christian life in front of their unsaved family. Kyle’s cousin was shot in Afghanistan while serving in the Army and his family doesn’t know how he is doing. A friend came to visit and willingly drove me around Clovis just so that I can get a picture of where things are. Our new friends here in Clovis had us over for the 4th of July, and we have only been here less than two weeks.

Relationships are a part of everyone, everyday. And in life, due to our sin nature, we all mess up and hurt others as well as have our fair share of getting hurt.

As I was walking in the humidity that reminded me of Indonesia this morning, God reminded me of some things. When I was asked for some advice recently, I could say all the knowledge I have being a newly married, young teacher of only 23 years. And really, there are many more people who have better advice. But, then God reminded me that when I go to His Word, I have a resource that is thousands of years old and was inspired by the Holy Spirit.

As the Starbucks Girls say, the following is what God is teaching me. First, we have to realize that God chose us. He loves us and calls us not to happiness as the world tells us we “deserve”, but he calls us to holiness. Everyone has a relationship that needs work. And often times those relationships involve family members. When some one hurts you, we are called to be compassionate, kind, humble, gentle, and patient with them. You might be thinking, “But you don’t know what they did. You don’t know how they made me feel. You don’t know how cruel they were. You just don’t understand my situation.” And truthfully, I don’t. Even if you told me your situation, I still might not “get it.” However, the next verse tells us what to do despite the way we feel. “Bear with each other and forgive WHATEVER grievances you may have against one another.” You might be saying, “Well, I would if they would ask for my forgiveness. I’d think about forgiving them if they’d change. They don’t deserve my forgiveness for what they did to me.” True, you may have all of those feeling, however the verse doesn’t stop there. It continues and puts whatever situation we face into perspective. “Forgive as the Lord forgave you.” Well, no matter what that person did against you, they didn’t crucify you a perfect Son of God. Jesus loved us enough to lay down his life for us, a whole bunch of messed up people that are never going to be perfect. You might think, “Well, I did forgive them and it didn’t make a difference. The relationship is still broken.” Here is what to do next, love. Love that person despite their flaws. Love them even if they continue to hurt you. Love them, because God loves you even when you grieve Him. Love them, because in loving them you are letting God heal your hurt and show you a part of him, his willingness to sacrifice his only Son because He loved you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tasha, You are so awesome, I was feeling sorry for myself thinking that I had lost your inspiration and encouragement, and then up this pops! God is amazing, He knows what we need and when we need it. I miss you sooooo much, but know that He will keep us together in thought and in prayer. I never realized what an incredible writer you were, you could start writing my morning devotionals! Thanks for reminding me what's important in my relationships. God bless you! Lori

Tasha said...

Thanks Lori. It is so good to hear from you! I miss you bunches. It will probably hit me even harder next week as I begin to work on my classroom. How is your knee? Any word on the conference yet?

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for staying with me on Saturday! I had a lot of fun doing your hair for the wedding. I think that sometimes God has to remove us from our comfort zone to teach us about trust and peace - sounds weird, I know, but just ask Kari Baher. Who ever thought a move to California could change her life the way it did? Sometimes He removes us in a big way (like, moving away from family and friends). Other times, He is more subtle (like removing people from our lives for apparently no reason so that we have no other choice but to lean on Him). Please keep praying for my cousin whose wife left him. I found out this morning she told him that she isn't coming back. And I thought I was having a rough week... I miss you Tasha. I didn't jog this morning but I plan to tomorrow. How about you?
~Karrie

Tasha said...

Sherry wasn't too excited about running, but she willingly walked with me. I showed her the prettiest house in downtown Clovis. It is an older style yellow two story home. It has a wrap around white porch. The lawn and flowers are well kept, and the light hits it in amazing ways when it is at 6:30 am:) I also showed her the house that reminds me of her, and it only happens to be a block away. On the side fence our tons of different birdhouses. Sherry kept a whole bunch of birdhouses in her living room. Then as you walk around the corner to the front of the yard you find two flamingos in the front yard. I couldn't wait to show her:) She loved them both and was excited that our "dream homes" were so close together.

Unknown said...

Tasha, Absolutely amazing! Just what
I needed to hear right now as I am still dwelling on the beach and stewing about going to Hawaii.Luv & miss u!!!!Tara