We're so glad you came to see us! Please leave us a comment to let us know you came by.

Monday, November 19, 2007

Baher-esk Afternoon

Tasha and I decided to take a walk after lunch on Saturday. Along the way Tasha stopped and took pictures of flowers and trees. We came to the one mile mark where the library is and spent some time there.

The library has these really cool mats that can read what is put on it. It read all the books and the book on cd that I was checking in. I then got lost on the computer looking for anything on newts. I ended up with a book on Salamanders and a book on Cricketology. I had no idea there was a whole field of study on crickets. I was interested about it because we feed crickets to the newts. Maybe there is a field of study called Mealwormology we could check out because we are also feeding mealworms to the newts. :) We also found a vhs tape on creatures of the rain forest.

After we got back from our walk we hopped in the car and headed to the pet store. The pet store was going to unveil their new shark in their saltwater tank. The shark is a good 24 inches in length. It is a light tan color with dark markings on its head and tail. It glided through the tank so effortlessly. There were maybe 4 small fish in the tank that cowered in the middle bottom of the tank out of the sharks path.

While we were at the pet store I got a new bulb for the newt tank and some more moss. The bulb I had put in there was too hot, so I had already replaced it with a lesser wattage bulb, but I had to get another bulb that had even lower wattage. The tank was so hot that the humidity had gotten out of control and it molded in less than 7 days. Therefore the newts had a little bed-breakfast getaway while I redid the tank.

We think the newts like the tank a lot more now. They are spending a lot more time in the water dish now where before they were not even going near it. The hill became less drastic and the moss is more packed. I also replaced the big bulky cave with a small red clay pot. They love to hide in it but so do the crickets. It is wierd to see the crickets jump and crawl all over them. I just think I can hear them saying, "Laugh now cricket, you'll be lunch really soon."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We feel so special! Thanks for the share! Sorry we've missed Tasha's calls. Our schedules just haven't coordinated with yours.

Tasha said...

When we get a chance we should put up a new picture of the tank. I think it looks better now than it did before. Two of the newts were chilling poolside when I left, and one was still enjoying the cool water.