We're so glad you came to see us! Please leave us a comment to let us know you came by.

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Idol Worship

I’m very grateful for Bible Study Fellowship (BSF). I’ve been reading through Jeremiah, Lamentations, and am now into Ezekiel in the Old Testament. In the New Testament I’m in Revelations. Needless to say I’ve been a bit lost while reading. The reason I’m grateful for BSF is because it has given me opportunities to dig deep into God’s Word in a way that makes more since than where I have been reading for SOAP.
Last night for BSF I read from Matthew 7 including the following verses: 7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.”
I haven’t been journaling due to a running late in the mornings, and also being totally lost in Scripture. So as I realized I’ll be in Ezekiel through most of December I prayed for understanding. Here is what I got today out of Ezekiel 6.
S: 6 In all your dwelling places the cities shall be laid waste, and the high places shall be desolate, so that your altars may be laid waste and made desolate, your idols may be broken and made to cease, your incense altars may be cut down, and your works may be abolished. 13 Then you shall know that I am the LORD, when their slain are among their idols all around their altars, on every high hill, on all the mountaintops, under every green tree, and under every thick oak, wherever they offered sweet incense to all their idols. 14 So I will stretch out My hand against them and make the land desolate, yes, more desolate than the wilderness toward Diblah, in all their dwelling places. Then they shall know that I am the LORD.’”’”
O: The Israelites had forgotten that God said in Exodus 20:3, “You shall have no other gods before Me.” They had put idols and themselves in the place of God. God sent prophets to warn the people, and they ignored Him. God sought His people, and they refused to turn back. So, God allowed them to fall captive to other nations.
A: I may not have an idol, burn incense, or bow down and worship a god on a mountaintop, however, have I put something, anything, before God? Is my selfish pride winning again? Am I taking credit for what God has done? Have I lost sight of the many blessings God has given me? What am I putting my time and energy into? Am I doing even the hard parts of my job with God in mind? Do I think about Him throughout the day?
P: Lord, thank you for answering my prayers to see some understanding into the Old Testament. Please help me to remember that you are worthy of worship, honor, glory, and praise. I pray that I will have an eternal perspective rather than getting wrapped up in the trivial things of this world.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for that share, Tasha! Don't feel discouraged if you don't always have something to write about. Sometimes, it's just the willingness to routinely be in His word.

Kyle said...

One of my favorite preachers to listen to is Leonard Ravenhill. He preached a very powerful sermon where he spoke about idols. He exclaimed, "Any thing you put before God is an idol. I don't care what it is!!" I think we get too focused on thinking that an idol is a wooden or stone crafted image that we worship.

Remember the cashier I was talking to at Winco that I saw his tattoo and was asking him about it? It read: "God first, family second, money later" Brad Buser, whom you can listen to on www.sermonindex.com, said that having your priorities in order is a big issue in our minds. However, he has resolved to have only on his list "God". His wife, his kids, his job are all second when it comes to God.

Imaging how the church would transform if that were its head priority.