We're so glad you came to see us! Please leave us a comment to let us know you came by.

Friday, November 2, 2007

Newt Tank - Part 1

Here's the newt tank development process:


First, play around with the layout of the tank. Cost of tank - free.


I was walking around the hardware store looking for things to put in the tank. I came across this plastic gutter corner and thought "cave!" There were brown and white components. I chose brown because I figured that I could mount vegetation or rocks on it to make it blend into the tank. Cost of cave - $6.


Because there are going to be creatures in the tank, you cannot use just any sealant/adhesive. I found this Aquarium Sealant which is safe for creatures, it doesn't shrink, or get brittle. Cost of sealant - $5.


Here are some river rocks I am going to use later on for decoration on the top soil around some small plants. Cost of rocks - already had.


Here is a view of a plastic screen which will keep the soil from sinking into the gravel bed. There was also fiberglass screening but I figured that fiberglass might harm our creatures. A tank must have gravel at the bottom for drainage, then the screen, then moss, and then soil. There's other options for how to form your terrain but this was the most common one I found. Cost of 36x24 screen - $4.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the play by play!