We're so glad you came to see us! Please leave us a comment to let us know you came by.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

1 Corinthians 2:1-2

This morning I praise Jesus because Eliana slept for 4 hours at a time during the night. I actually had to wake her up to feed her. It is amazing how getting sleep makes a difference in me! It is such a pleasant switch from two nights ago when she was wanting to eat 2-4 times every hour for just a few minutes from midnight to 6. Praise God for new making my little one sleep well!

I woke up at 7, read my Bible, and ate breakfast. So, I have half an hour to type before it is time to wake my little one up to eat again if she doesn't wake up on her own. Let's all hope I can type quickly and clearly!

This morning I was reading in 1 Corinthians 2. Having a baby gave me a new perspective on verses 1 and 2, "And I, brethren, when I came to you, did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God. 2 For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified." Paul is talking to the Corinthians who were known to live in the intellectual capital of that time. The Corinthians loved to gather and discuss philosophy and new ideas. Paul chose to stay focused on Christ and nothing else.

What hit me is that God chose to let his Son Jesus die for man's sin. God chose to redeem us, imperfect people who sin against him, with the blood of his perfect Son. Grant it, I have only been a mom for 6 days, but I have this overwhelming protective love for Eliana. I've known for a long time that Jesus died for me, but my perspective as a new parent chances how I see God the Father's role in Jesus's death. I can't imagine choosing to let harm come to Eliana so that others could be helped. I can't imagine how the heart of God grieved when He was separated from His Son. I can't imagine being Jesus when He lived on earth. Jesus knew that the cross was coming. He predicted the details of His death many times. The kinds of suffering he would face are written throughout the Old Testament. Jesus knew that he would carry the sin of mankind, and yet He chose to submit the Father's will. Wow. I am in awe of the love God has for us, that while we sinners, He chose to have Christ die for our sins. I'm so glad that Jesus didn't just die, but that He rose again on the third day. His power over death gives me hope.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Great insight. Thanks for letting me sleep. So glad you got lots done this morning.