We're so glad you came to see us! Please leave us a comment to let us know you came by.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Opportunities

Background: September 1st has been a day I have looked forward to for a month. The gals in my family got together and agreed with a plan I hatched. We would celebrate the September birthdays in the family on September 1st in addition to my brother’s July birthday. My thinking was that this would be a way to gather everyone together and I would be able to celebrate with everyone. I knew that I wouldn’t be able to come down three times in September for birthdays.

Opportunity: Kyle and I decided to leave on Friday, Aug. 30 due to the “lovely” aroma that a refinished bath tub disbursed throughout our home. We packed quickly, forgetting our tooth brushes in the process, and headed to grab a bit to eat. While at Wienerschnitzel we were greeted by a very thoughtful cashier. We noticed that she asked a question that pertained to each person as they placed their order. Kyle mentioned that she asked how tall one gentleman was. He and he three kids were all rather tall. I was fascinated by their height. I kept glancing at them wondering about their bone structure, and how God made us all different. In the process God prompted me to talk to them.

Problem: We are on our way to grab a quick bit so that we don’t get to my parents much later than 10. I don’t know these people. What if they laugh? What am I supposed to say anyway? So ignoring God I left. As soon as we got up to leave I knew that I was disobeying. In fact I knew before that. While driving away I talked to Kyle about it, and we decided to pray for them.

Prayer: Well, when you ignore God, you tend to not want to pray. Sure I prayed for the family then, but they kept coming to mind over the weekend. I still don’t know what I should have said, but what I forgot is that God can provide the words in those moments. So this morning I prayed for forgiveness and to trust and obey. Well, those are two things that you need to be careful about praying, because God is pretty cool about giving you opportunities.

Opportunity: Today I had an in-service. While eating a fantastic lunch someone across the table asked me why we moved here. Not too hard of a question, Kyle’s schooling. But I knew that wasn’t all God wanted me to say. My heart beat fast as I put away fear and doubt and possible rejection from my new staff and briefly explained that Kyle and I feel called to go overseas and tell other people about Jesus.

Purpose: Why is it so easy to tell people at church that your purpose is to glorify God and yet those same words get caught in your throat when an opportunity is set before you and isn’t in your comfort zone?

After Thought: Kyle and I watched the 4th Nooma video last night. It is called Sunday. Wow, what a concept. Rob Bell, the pastor, asks if how church looks and feels is how God pictured it. Also, he directs the viewer to understand that church isn’t a building that you meet at every week for an hour. It is the people.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful insight, Tasha. I know this is a time in your life when you don't have much "free time", so I really appreciate the write up.

We have the same question asked of us: "What brings you to Verona." Kieran almost immediately blurts out "God". Sometimes, though, we say "family". Both are true, but why aren't we bubbling over to say "God". How human we are, huh?

Lori said...

You are so right about it being easy to talk to other believers, but difficult to open up to others. It's like if there was a fire we would have no problem telling complete strangers what they need to do, yet as the end times grow closer, isn't that the same type of emergency? More so because the lost will be forever lost, yet I'm still hesitant to get in their face and scream, "Hurry before it's too late!"