We're so glad you came to see us! Please leave us a comment to let us know you came by.

Monday, September 10, 2007

Spiritual Insight from an Appliance

Tasha and I found an electric dryer through the want ads yesterday. We brought it home; I hooked up the vent hose, plugged it in, and turned it on. Walla, it works. We started a load in the wash and then left the house for Life Group. When we got home I switched the loads and started a new load in the wash. About a half hour later I checked the dryer… the clothes were damp and cold. I switched the heat settings, checked the vent hose, and tried a different drying cycle. I sat and watched the heating element get red hot. Then after a few minutes it cooled down. After that, it never got hot again.

I decide to get ready for bed. I am mad because I am getting to bed late and I bought a lemon dryer. I couldn’t sleep. I laid there wondering if we should have just spent the money and got a new one. I was wondering if I went back to the guy and say that it doesn’t work, if he’d even give me the money back. Basically, I feel dumb and deceived.

I had weight training this morning. I was going to shower here at school but I forgot my towel. So, I had to drive back home to shower. When I walked into the house, I went over to the dryer. I knelt on the floor and began to pray. “God, is it too much to want this dryer to work? It is made to dry clothes but it isn’t doing that. Why can’t it just do what it was made to do?”

Then my prayer stopped. I reflected on what I had just said. I began my prayer again. “God, this dryer is meant to dry clothes. It is not working and it makes me upset. God, you created me. You designed me. How much more of a vexation am I to you when I do not the things you want me to.”

Psalm 29:2
Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name; worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness.

3 comments:

Tasha said...

Woah, it looks like someone is learning. I've got my blurb to add soon, but I ran out of time today. Say tuned for Intential.

Unknown said...

Kieran & Kari Baher say: How frustrating! But...How awesome that God showed you something. Still, you're a human & you may have gotten "taken", so be sure to follow up with the person you bought it from.:) If you can find the store that would NORMALLY sell this brand &/or if you can find a dryer service place, they may be able to at least tell you what's wrong & how much it would cost to fix.

I'm looking forward to Tasha's next blog. But, I think she meant INTENTIONAL. :)

Anonymous said...

You might also try getting a new heating element, and put it in. Craig fixed our dryer once that way. I think it cost a couple of dollars for the heating element. If that's the problem, it would be a quick, cheap fix. :) Just a thought...