We're so glad you came to see us! Please leave us a comment to let us know you came by.

Friday, August 1, 2008

My thoughts today

“Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock." Matthew 7:24-25

People are drawn to the pastors that say Jesus will give you health and wealth. But that is a contradiction of what Jesus said. Jesus said the greatest commandment is to love God with everything in you and to love others as yourself (Matthew 22:37-40). Our foundation in God is to be built upon loving Him and loving others. When the storms of life beat on us, we can stand firm in Christ.

What does is look like to love God with everything in you? How does your time reflect that you love God? Does it sound like you love others when you gossip and judge about people at church or even strangers at a restaurant?Are you holding onto something that God wants to clean up in your life?

Control is something I often grab a hold of and try to keep from God. I know, it sounds crazy for me with a three pound brain to keep something for the One who created the heavens and the earth. It comes in the form of worry, fear, and stress. I realized this summer that I was really worried, fearful, and stressed about the coming school year. Once I finally figured that out (it took half the summer to admit to myself and God these things), it was amazing the freedom I found in trusting God to take care of this school year. I don't have to fear because he will never leave me nor forsake me (Matthew 28:20). He is a compassionate God who asks me to cast my burdens upon Him, because He cares for me (1 Peter 5:7). He hasn't gotten off His throne and begun to fret and wring His hands because another school year is about to start.

Does fear continue to pop up (nearly daily)? You bet! But I have the choice to get a tummy ache over it OR I can pray and ask God to take my fears.

So, my in-laws are going today to serve for at least a year, if not more, over in Central Asia. I've been fighting the what if game. Could they get hurt? Yes, it is always a possibility (really it is no matter where you live). Is it going to be hard not seeing them regularly and calling just to say hi? Yes, it is going to be hard, but with technology we'll still stay in touch. Do I know that this is where their supposed to be? Beyond a shadow of a doubt, I know they are in God's will with the purpose of glorifying God. Does knowing that make it easier for me to handle their move? Sometimes.

A friend of mine named Karen Watson served over in Iraq bringing water and aid to people. God called her to serve, and she obeyed. Karen and others were shot and killed while driving in between cities.

So, sometimes I handle my in-laws move being so blessed to know that they are following God. Other times fear creeps in that they'll be hurt or killed while in service.

Think back to my summer struggle of fearing school starting. Did fear help me any? No, it just gave me plenty of nightmares. Did praying and handing over my fears help? Yes, I am much more at peace now. What does fear do to my foundation in God during storms? It creates cracks and weakens it. With that said, please keep my in-laws and our family in your prayers, specifically that we will hand over our fears and trust God.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Good post. Thanks.