We're so glad you came to see us! Please leave us a comment to let us know you came by.

Monday, July 21, 2008

Being Real

I began to realize that one of my most annoying problems was me. That was painfully revealing. How could I be my own problem? Simple: I wanted control. Control of everything! I resented the fact that God wanted control too. My desire for control outweighed my desire for connectedness, even with Him. Luci Swindoll

It was this year that I realized, maybe for the first time clearly, that I had control issues. I wanted to control Kyle, I wanted to control myself, I wanted to control others. It may have started with a good intention like wanting to help someone or something. But when I began to try and "fix" things on my own without God's help, I was controlling and NOT helping anyone.

I recently heard an AMAZING sermon all about control. It was a rather swift kick I didn't appreciate at the time, but God has continued to use it for His glory in my life. It seems that there are many times daily that I have to fight the urge to control things around me that really and truly aren't mine to control. You can check out the sermon at lifechurch.tv. The link is on the side for the whole website, but you can also view just the sermon at http://www.lifechurch.tv/message-archive/the-sickness-within/4 .

If you're looking, or maybe more or less needing some redirecting about pride, check out the third sermon in that series. Or you could try the first one and hear about anger. I did write a post about anger on July 11th. The second one is on envy, and the fifth is on bitterness. I haven't had a chance to check out the last one, but since the other four were pretty great, I think the last one would be good too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the thing that really wakes me up is when I realized I'm trying to control God. I've been teaching a class this summer, and we just studies some passages from Isaiah... a text that thoroughly reminds me that God is a wild God - he works in ways that bug me sometimes (maybe I'm more like Jonah than I thought). I appreciate your honesty. If you ever want to get together and talk further... I'm here.