We're so glad you came to see us! Please leave us a comment to let us know you came by.

Monday, November 29, 2010

Characteristics of Our Daughter

Giggle Time with Eliana and Me

Eliana is a little over 5 months old. Here are some things I know about her.

* She often sneezes in twos like her dad.
* Today is the first time I've tickled her belly, and she thought it was funny.
* An over tired Eliana makes for grumpy parents.
* She loves to gnaw on her hands.
* She can roll over from stomach to back, although she still doesn't like tummy time.
* Eliana can grip my finger and then pull herself from back to side. With a little tug on my part she'll go to her stomach.
* She gets lonely quickly if you're not paying attention to her. This is much more apparently in the afternoon and when she is getting ready for a nap.
* Bath time is still fun. I don't think she has figured out that moving her legs makes the water splash.
* She loves to sleep in her swing. I'm in the process of trying to train her to sleep without motion. This process isn't too much fun for her or me.
* Eliana loves to be rocked to sleep. If I catch the window of time just right, it only takes about a minute for her eyes to close. Normally it only takes a few minutes, but there have been times when we have rocked and walked for quite some time.
* Toys are suddenly quite important to Eliana.
* Kicking off her socks is a daily habit.
* She still enjoys being swaddled.
* The car isn't nearly the nightmare it was when she was younger. If she is just eaten, we often can go a whole car ride without hearing her scream.
* Eliana has a faint Mongolian spot like I did.
* She also has strawberry birth marks like I did.
* The longest she has slept was 6 hours straight. Sadly, that isn't the norm. Four hours is much more common.
* Eliana will spot Kyle or I and focus on us if she is visiting others. I'll be honest, it makes me feel pretty special.
* Today she started trying out this raspy whisper sound that I can't even duplicate. I tried to catch it on film, but apparently that sound wasn't available anymore.
* On occasion over the last week and a half, Eliana has tried out a really high pitch sound that reminds me of a cat. While some find it funny or even cute, it just hurts my ears.
* Eliana's nails grow really fast. I have to cut them at least once a week.
* Eliana hasn't figured out why pulling on the string connected to her pacifier causes it to pull out of her mouth. She often has a slightly surprised look on her face, or better yet, an offended one like I did it on purpose. :)
* Eliana still spits up at least a dozen times a day. And no, I am not exaggerating. Thankfully, it often isn't as much spit up. It really startles other people, but I am totally used to it. It doesn't faze me in the slightest.
* There are days when I am so frustrated that I think Eliana will be an only child. But there are other days when I think a sibling down the road would be okay. Sometimes I have both of those feelings in one day depending upon how things go.

4 comments:

Tasha said...

I know it is silly, but I've watched the video a couple times already. I can't help but smile:)

Anonymous said...

That cute little giggle made my night! Thank you
Love, GramE

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for those giggles!! I love baby giggles. In the past, when I'm having a blue day, I've actually gone on YouTube and watched babies giggle. Ask Rachel, I'm a sap for baby giggles. But to see those same giggles from a member of your family is priceless!!
Love you all, Aunt Marcie

Allison said...

I had a huge smile on my face when I watched this video - I love her little laugh! I can't wait for Callan to get to that stage :) We miss you guys!